HATTON, a township, in the parish and union of Runcorn, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester, 4¼ miles (S. by W.) from Warrington; containing 382 inhabitants. The manor was given by John de Lacy to Adam de Dutton; and came by marriage with the daughter of Geffrey de Dutton to William Fitzhugh, some of whose descendants, it is probable, assumed the name of Hatton, for about 1290, the manor was divided into severalties among the coheirs of Adam de Hatton. The lands were afterwards held by various families, and the principal part of the township now belongs to William Eccles, Esq. It comprises 1017 acres, of which the prevailing soil is clay: the common lands were inclosed by act of parliament in 1803. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.