HATTON, a township, in the parish of Waverton, union of Great Boughton, Lower division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester, 6 miles (S. E.) from Chester; containing 156 inhabitants. The township comprises 1131 acres, of which the soil is clay. The Chester and Crewe railway passes through it, and the Chester and Nantwich canal has its principal line on the east side. The old mansion of Hatton Hall was blown down a few years ago by a storm; the moat which surrounded it still exists, and several trees of gigantic size and extraordinary girth still survive upon the spot, though stript of their bark, and completely bleached by the assaults of many a wintry blast. A rent-charge of £150 has been awarded as a commutation for the tithes. A clothing club, on a liberal scale, has been instituted by Lord Henry Cholmondeley, for the benefit of his poorer tenants here; and a small lending library is supported by his lordship.