HATTERSLEY, a township, in the parish of Mottram-in-Longdendale, union of Ashton-underLyne, hundred of Macclesfield, N. division of the county of Chester, 10 miles (E. by S.) from Manchester; containing 610 inhabitants. The manor belonged, before the reign of Henry III., to a family of the local name, by one of whom it was conveyed to Sir Roger de Stockport. It continued with the Stockports for about a century, when it became the property of the Carringtons, from whom it passed by a female heir to the Booths; and having descended with Dunham-Massey, it now belongs to the Earl of Stamford and Warrington, who is chief owner of the land. The township lies on the road from Stockport to Sheffield, and comprises 1190 acres, of a clayey soil, in some parts stony. The tithes have been commuted for £95, payable to the Bishop of Chester.