Hatley, East (St. Dennis)
HATLEY, EAST (St. Dennis), a parish, in the union of Caxton and Arrington, hundred of Armingford, county of Cambridge, 4½ miles (E. by N.) from Potton; containing 98 inhabitants. The manor was in the time of Edward II. divided between the families of Bereford, Rous, and De Quoye. In the reign of Henry VII. it came to the Castells, who, after a possession of about two centuries, were succeeded by the Downings, of whom Sir George Downing, about 1685, pulled down the old manor-house; the estates are now vested in Downing College, Cambridge. The parish comprises by computation 1360 acres, of which the soil is chiefly clay, and the surface generally level. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 16. 8., and in the gift of the College: the tithes have been commuted for £209. 4., and there are nearly 4 acres of glebe.