Hatley (St. George)
HATLEY (St. George), a parish, in the union of Caxton and Arrington, hundred of Longstow, county of Cambridge, 4 miles (E. N. E.) from Potton; containing 136 inhabitants. This place was for a long period in the possession of the St. Georges, who had their chief seat and a park here, and held the estate so early as the reign of Henry III. It appears to have been alienated in the 17th century to Sir Robert Cotton, who erected a fine residence on the spot; and afterwards passed to the families of Trefusis and Pearse, from the latter of whom it was purchased about 1782 by Thomas St. Quintin, Esq., whose descendants are the present owners. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8, and in the gift of Thomas St. Quintin, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £163. 15., and the glebe comprises 9 acres. The church, built in 1352, contains some interesting memorials of the family of St. George.