Hatfield-Peverell (St. Andrew)
HATFIELD-PEVERELL (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union and hundred of Witham, N. division of Essex, 3¼ miles (S. W. by S.) from Witham; containing 1383 inhabitants. It derives its distinguishing epithet from Ralph Peverel, its proprietor at the time of the Norman survey. A college for secular canons was founded in the time of William Rufus, by Ingelrica, wife of Peverel, and dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene; it was converted by her son into a Benedictine monastery. The parish is bounded on the south by the Chelmer and Blackwater navigation, which here receives the waters of the river Tor; the soil is in general light, and intermixed with gravel, and the scenery of the district is enriched with extensive woods. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £88; patron and impropriator, P. Wright, Esq., whose tithes have been commuted for £1385. The church, formerly belonging to the priory, of which it is the only remaining portion, is a handsome structure, consisting of a nave, a spacious north aisle, and a chancel, in which is a fine window of ancient stained glass; in the aisle is a statue of the foundress. A school was endowed in 1638, by Sir Edward Alleyne, with £5. 10. per annum. In 1820, Martha Lovibond, in compliance with the wish of her deceased daughter, erected four tenements for two aged married couples and two single persons, endowing them with 18s. per week for the former, and 12s. for the latter.