Hatcliffe (St. Mary)
HATCLIFFE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Caistor, wapentake of Bradley-Haverstoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 7½ miles (S. W.) from Grimsby; containing, with the hamlet of Gonerby, 139 inhabitants. This place was formerly the residence of the family of De Hatcliffe, who at one time represented the borough of Grimsby in parliament; their mansion appears to have been of considerable extent, and some remains of it are still traceable. The parish comprises 1370a. 2r. 20p., of which two-thirds are arable, and the remainder meadow and pasture, with a little woodland; the surface is undulated, the soil chalky, and the aspect of the district rather wild. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 4. 2., and in the patronage of the Chapter of the Collegiate Church of Southwell: the tithes have been commuted for £315. 14., and the glebe comprises 4½ acres, with a glebe-house, built in 1840. The church, an ancient edifice with a tower, consists of a nave and chancel, in which latter are some monuments, apparently to members of the family of Hatcliffe. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.