HASWELL, a township, in the parish and union of Easington, S. division of Easington ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 6 miles (E. by N.) from Durham; containing 3981 inhabitants. This township, which includes the hamlets of Great and Little Haswell, had, prior to the opening of the collieries here, in 1835, a population of not more than 112 persons, solely engaged in agriculture. The whole comprises 3100 acres, of which 1006 are the property of Sir George Shee, Bart.; the inhabitants are chiefly employed in the extensive collieries established by the Haswell Company, and of which the produce is shipped at Sunderland. An appalling colliery explosion took place here on the 28th September, 1844, by which occurrence 95 lives were lost. The Sunderland and Durham railway, constructed in 1834, has a branch to this place, and at Haswell Lane, a much frequented station, where passengers from Sunderland change their carriages for Hartlepool, Stockton, and Darlington. Limestone of good quality is quarried for the supply of the neighbouring district. The remains of an ancient chapel were lately removed, and the site is now levelled. A school for children of both sexes, for which an extensive building has been erected, is supported by the company, and divine service is performed in the schoolroom every Sunday. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans.See Hetton, South.