Hasfield (St. Mary)
HASFIELD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Tewkesbury, Lower division of the hundred of Westminster, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 6 miles (N.) from Gloucester; containing 304 inhabitants, and comprising by measurement 1400 acres. Limestone of good quality is quarried for building and for the roads: facility of conveyance is afforded by the river Severn, which skirts the parish on the south-east, and is navigable for small craft. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8.; net income, £378; patron and incumbent, the Rev. J. F. Sevier. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments in 1795; the land comprises 174 acres, and there is a rectory-house, handsomely rebuilt in the Tudor style, by the present incumbent. The church is in the later English style, with a square embattled tower.