Haselbury-Bryan (St. James)
HASELBURY-BRYAN (St. James), a parish, in the union of Sturminster, hundred of Pimperne, Sturminster division of Dorset, 9 miles (W. N. W.) from Blandford-Forum; containing 639 inhabitants. The parish comprises by admeasurement 2359 acres, of which 175 are arable, and 1894 pasture, all inclosed with the exception of 159 acres; 8 are woodland, and about 30 or 40 orchard-ground. The soil is generally a strong tenacious clay, but productive, and in some parts a rich and fertile loam: the surface is pleasingly undulated, and the scenery enriched with stately trees; the lower grounds are watered by a brook. Limestone is quarried, of good quality for building and for burning into lime. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 13. 9., and in the gift of the Duke of Northumberland: the tithes have been commuted for £440, and the glebe comprises 69 acres. The church is in the decorated style. 21 acres of land, worth £57 per annum, have been left by some person unknown, the rental to be divided amongst the most deserving poor. The Duke of Northumberland takes the title of Baron Bryan from this parish.