Harworth (All Saints)
HARWORTH (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Worksop, Hatfield division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 2¾ miles (W. S. W.) from Bawtry; containing 878 inhabitants. The parish contains upwards of 7000 acres, lying in the western verge of the county, between Blyth and Tickhill. Of this number 1428a. 3r. 2p. are in the manor of Harworth; 617 acres in the hamlet of Hesley and Limpool, in the north-western part, adjoining Yorkshire; 1462 in Martin, forming the north-eastern hamlet, near Bawtry; 340 in the farm of Plumbtree; 502 in Serlby hamlet or manor; and 2019a. 1r. 14p. forming a part of the township of Styrrup and Oldcoates, the rest of which is in the parish of Blyth. The village is in rather a low situation, with a small stream running through it. The living is a vicarage, endowed with some rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books at £5. 9. 7.; net income, £687; patron, the Rev. C. E. Rodgers. The church is an ancient structure in the early English style, with a chancel of later English erected in 1672; it was repaired in 1828, when a handsome cross, found in the churchyard, was placed above the east window. Robert Brailsford, by will dated October 21st, 1700, devised about 58 acres of land, now let for £59 per annum, for the maintenance of a school, and for distributing clothing among the poor inhabitants. In a part of Harworth adjoining the town of Bawtry is an almshouse for widows, anciently founded by Robert Morton for a master and poor persons, with an endowment in land, and some small payments: the chapel, which is a beautiful specimen of the early English style, was lately completely repaired. In this part of the parish, also, is the site of a Roman station, where, in 1828, were found silver coins, a portion of a Roman vase, and many pieces of pottery.