HARWOOD, LITTLE, a township, in the parish, union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 2 miles (N. E. by N.) from Blackburn; containing 322 inhabitants. This place was the property of the Claytons for upwards of 400 years. About the year 1815, Colonel Clayton, of Little Harwood Hall, and of Carr Hall, near Clitheroe, disposed of the estate by sale, in shares to various individuals. The township is of small extent, and is situated on the ridge of a lofty hill, on the road from Blackburn to Whalley. The Hall is a neat brick house, shrouded in trees, and new fronted about a century ago. Bank-Hey is a village on a commanding eminence in the township.