HARWOOD-DALE, a chapelry, in the parish of Hackness, union of Scarborough, liberty of Whitby-Strand, N. riding of York, 7 miles (N. W.) from Scarborough; containing, with the hamlet of Silpho, 335 inhabitants. The chapelry comprises, exclusively of Silpho, 5557a. 5p., of which 1182 acres are arable, 605 pasture, 190 woodland, and 3580 waste and moor. The living is annexed to the perpetual curacy of Hackness. The chapel was built in the reign of Charles II. at the expense of Sir Thos. P. Hoby, Knt., and endowed by him with the tithes, which have been commuted for £220.