Hartwith, with Winsley
HARTWITH, with Winsley, a chapelry, in the parish of Kirkby-Malzeard, union of Pateley-Bridge, Lower division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York, 5 miles (S. E.) from Pateley-Bridge; containing 1138 inhabitants. The chapelry includes the hamlets of Summer-Bridge, Braisty-Wood, and New Laiths; and comprises by measurement 5184 acres, of which 3984 are arable and meadow, 500 woodland, and 700 moor. The surface is elevated, and the soil a heavy marl with rocky intermixtures. The village is situated on the northern acclivity of the vale of the Nidd, and contains several scattered houses, some flour-mills, and an extensive thread-mill; the surrounding scenery is boldly romantic, and at Brimham are masses of vast rocks spread in the wildest profusion over a tract of nearly 40 acres, the ancient resort of the Druids. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £103; patrons, the Rev. John Swire, and Richard Henry Roundell, Esq. The chapel, a neat structure in the later English style, was built in 1830, at a cost of £400, raised partly by subscription and partly by a grant from the Incorporated Society of £230. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a free school is endowed with an estate assigned by Robert Haxby.