Hartwell (St. John the Baptist)
HARTWELL (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Potters-Pury, hundred of Cleley, S. division of the county of Northampton, 7¼ miles (S. by E.) from Northampton; containing 553 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the border of Buckinghamshire, which is on the south; and on the east is bounded by the extra-parochial district of Salcey-Forest. It comprises 1305¾ acres, and the London and Birmingham railway skirts it. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £70; patron, W. Castleman, Esq.: there is a parsonage-house. A new church was built in a central situation in 1846. The Wesleyans have a place of worship; and a school is chiefly supported by the Duke of Grafton.