Hartwell (St. Mary)
HARTWELL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Aylesbury, county of Buckingham, 2 miles (W. S. W.) from Aylesbury; containing, with part of the hamlet of Sedrup, 138 inhabitants. This was the residence of Louis XVIII., and his court, during the stay of that monarch in England, prior to his restoration to the French throne: he gave £100 for the use of the poor. The living is a rectory, with that of Little Hampden annexed, valued in the king's books at £14. 5. 5.; net income, £226; patrons, the Astronomical Society. The tithes were commuted for land and money payments in 1776. The church was erected by the late Sir William Lee, Bart., in imitation of the early English style, with two octagonal towers, and a roof highly decorated with tracery.