Hartshead, with Clifton
HARTSHEAD, with Clifton, a chapelry, in the parish of Dewsbury, union of Halifax, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, 5½ miles (N. E. by N.) from Huddersfield; containing 2675 inhabitants, of whom 896 are in Hartshead. This chapelry is intersected by the river Calder, and comprises by computation 2900 acres, of which 150 are wood and plantations, and of the remainder, two-thirds pasture, and about onethird arable. The scenery is bold and romantic. Stone of good quality for building is quarried, and there are some coal-mines; card-making for machinery, and wiredrawing, are carried on, and facilities of conveyance are afforded by the Calder and Hebble canal, and the Leeds and Manchester railway, which pass through the chapelry, as do the roads between Leeds and Elland, and Halifax and Wakefield. The village, which is small, is on a commanding eminence. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Incumbent of Dewsbury, with a net income of £202; impropriator, Sir George Armytage, Bart. The chapel is an ancient structure in the Norman style, with a square tower, and contains some interesting specimens, among which are two fine arches, in a perfect state; there is a handsome monument to the Armytage family. In 1839 an act was obtained for inclosing the waste lands.