Hartlip (St. Michael)
HARTLIP (St. Michael), a parish, in the union and hundred of Milton, Upper division of the lathe of Scray, E. division of Kent, 4¾ miles (W.) from Sittingbourne; containing 341 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1412a. 2r. 3p., of which 135 acres are in wood: the soil is in some parts chalky, and in others sandy; the produce consists chiefly of wheat, oats, barley, and beans. A pleasure-fair is held on the 27th of July. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 10. 10., and has a net income of £182; the Dean and Chapter of Rochester are patrons and appropriators. The church is in the decorated style; the north-east chancel has been lately rebuilt, and a handsome font placed in it. Here is a small place of worship for dissenters; and a national school is supported partly by subscription, and partly by an endowment of land given by Mary Gibbon in 1678, and now producing about £32 per annum. In Lower Danefield, about a mile from the church, are the remains of a large subterranean building, the rooms and passages of which are rudely constructed, and contain a great quantity of Roman tiles.