Hartley-Wintney (St. Mary)
HARTLEY-WINTNEY (St. Mary), a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Odiham, Odiham and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 1¾ mile (S. by W.) from Hartford-Bridge; containing 1370 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 2300 acres, of which 1760 are arable and meadow, and 45 woodland: the soil is chiefly of a gravelly nature; the surface is in general flat, and the grounds are watered by the river Loddon. A fair for cattle is held on the 4th of December. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 0. 7½., and has a net income of £108; the patronage and impropriation belong to Lady St. John Mildmay. The poor-law union comprises thirteen parishes or places, and contains a population of 10,722. A Cistercian nunnery, in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary, St. Mary Magdalene, and St. John the Baptist, was founded here in the reign of William the Conqueror, and at the Dissolution contained a prioress and seventeen nuns, whose revenue was £59. 1.