Hartley-Westpall (St. Mary)
HARTLEY-WESTPALL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Basingstoke, hundred of Holdshott, Basingstoke and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 5 miles (W.) from Hartford-Bridge; containing 351 inhabitants. It comprises 1250 acres, of which about 1000 are arable, 60 wood, 60 waste or common, and the remainder meadow and pasture. The soil is a deep tenacious clay, but, by the addition of chalk, is rendered a fertile loam; the surface is gently undulated, and the lower grounds are watered by a branch of the river Loddon. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 16. 8., and in the gift of the Dean and Canons of Windsor: the tithes have been commuted for £420, and the glebe comprises 9½ acres.