Harting (St. Mary)
HARTING (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Midhurst, hundred of Dumpford, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex, 3¾ miles (S. E.) from Petersfield; containing 1267 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Petersfield to Chichester, and comprises by admeasurement 7832 acres; about 2719 are arable, 2900 meadow and pasture, 917 wood, and 1226 common and waste. The surface is pleasing, and in several parts richly embellished with wood. Up Pach, the seat of Sir Harry Fetherstonhaugh, Bart., is a handsome mansion, beautifully situated in an elevated demesne five miles in circumference; the house contains many stately apartments, and a collection of paintings, by the first masters. The living comprises a sinecure rectory and a vicarage, the former valued in the king's books at £26. 13. 4., and in the gift of Sir H. Fetherstonhaugh, and the latter at £9; patron of the vicarage, the Rector. The tithes of the vicar have been commuted for £292, and those of the rector for £753. The church is a cruciform structure, partly in the early and partly in the decorated English style, with a tower rising from the centre, surmounted by a spire, and contains some interesting monuments to the Caryl and Cowper families. There is a place of worship for Independents. An hospital for lepers, in honour of St. John the Baptist, was established here by Henry Hoes, in the time of Henry II. Cardinal Pole held the rectory.