Harthill (All Saints)
HARTHILL (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Workshop, S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 8 miles (W.) from Worksop, containing, with the hamlet of Woodall, 709 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the south by Derbyshire, and comprises 3427a. 35p., of which 99 acres are woodland, and 63 covered with water, forming a reservoir for supplying the Chesterfield canal, which passes through the parish; the surface is elevated, and chiefly in pasture, and the scenery is of pleasing character. About a mile from the village is Kiveton, where the first duke of Leeds, in the reign of Charles II., erected a handsome mansion, which continued to be the family seat till 1812, when the sixth duke took down the house, and threw open the spacious park for cultivation. The substratum abounds with red and white gritstone, much esteemed for whetstones, of which not less than 40,000 are annually made here. The village is on the road from Rotherham to Mansfield, and the Midland railway passes within four miles. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18. 11. 10½.; patron, the Duke of Leeds; the tithes have been commuted for £700, and the glebe consists of 80 acres. The church is an ancient structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower, and contains the sepulchral chapel of the Osborne family, in which are a monument to the first duke of Leeds, and the tombs of most of his descendants. A school was endowed in 1812, by the Rev. John Hewet, with £16. 13. per annum.