Harthill (All Saints)
HARTHILL (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Great Boughton, Higher division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester, 2 miles (S. S. E.) from Tattenhall; containing 158 inhabitants. The parish is situated about three-quarters of a mile from the road from Tarporley and Nantwich to Wrexham, and comprises 481a. 1r. 21p., of which 129 acres are arable, 248 pasture, 40 woodland, 18 glebe, and 44 common. The soil is chiefly a light loam, with a small portion of peat, and some waste which is a wet sand. The surface is elevated and beautifully undulated, and the lower lands are watered by a brook which has its rise in the parish, and in one part spreads into a lake about four acres in extent, called Harthill Pool: the views are very fine, and extend to the Irish Channel. Red sandstone for building is quarried. The living is a perpetual curacy, endowed with the rectorial tithes, and in the gift of Thomas Tyrwhitt Drake, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £42; and besides the glebe in the parish, there is a farm in Is-y-Coed, Holt, Denbighshire, comprising 24a. 3r. 19p., and making the net value of the living £124: the glebe-house is a good residence. The church, erected about 1611, is a plain structure with a campanile turret. Thirty children are instructed in a school at the expense of Thomas Crallan, Esq., of Bolesworth Castle, who is proprietor of the parish.