Harswell (St. Peter)
HARSWELL (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Pocklington, Holme-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 3½ miles (W. by S.) from Market-Weighton; containing 67 inhabitants. The parish is situated in the vale of the river Foulness, and comprises by admeasurement 1200 acres, which, with the exception of about 40 acres of woodland, are in cultivation. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4, and in the gift of Sir Charles Slingsby, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £174. 6. 10., and the glebe contains 43 acres. The church stands on an eminence.