Harrietsham (St. John the Baptist)
HARRIETSHAM (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Hollingbourn, hundred of Eyhorne, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 7 miles (E. by S.) from Maidstone; containing 675 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 2463 acres, of which 400 are wood, 500 pasture, and about 30 in hop plantations; the remainder, with the exception of 70 acres of heath and roads, is arable land in profitable cultivation. A fair for pedlery and toys is held on the 24th of June. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 10., and in the gift of All Souls' College, Oxford: the incumbents' tithes have been commuted for £580, and a rent-charge of £42 is paid to an impropriator; the glebe comprises 62 acres. The church has a handsome tower, and is principally in the early English style. Almshouses for six persons of Harrietsham, and six decayed members of the Fishmongers' Company, were founded in 1642, by Mark Quested, citizen of London; and Sir Charles Booth, in 1792, bequeathed certain stock, now producing £64 a year, for teaching children, with a further sum for other charitable purposes.