HARPURHEY, a township, in the parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 2½ miles (N. N. E.) from Manchester, on the road to Rochdale; containing 438 inhabitants. It stands elevated, with an undulated surface; the soil is clay and peat, and there is a sandstone-quarry. The Queen's Park, of 35 acres' extent, one of the public parks of Manchester, is in the township: it was opened in 1846. In the village is a silk-mill. The river Irk separates Harpurhey from Crumpsall. The Hall is the seat of John Barrett, Esq.; and Green-Mount Hall, that of Charles F. Thompson, Esq. The ecclesiastical district of Harpurhey is eight miles in circumference, and comprises the whole of this township and the township of Moston, and part of Collihurst; having a population of 3500. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of five Trustees; income, £170, with a house. The church is in the early English style, with a square tower and a spire, and was built in 1838, at a cost of £4000. In connexion with the Church are five schools. On the road to Manchester is the General Cemetery, occupying nearly eleven acres: it was opened in September 1837; is beautifully arranged; and is for all denominations.See Manchester.