Harpenden (St. Nicholas)
HARPENDEN (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of St. Alban's, hundred of Dacorum, county of Hertford, 4½ miles (N. by W.) from St. Alban's; containing 1872 inhabitants. The parish comprises 5010 acres, of which 253 are waste land or common; the soil is loamy for the most part, and set with flints. The road from St. Alban's to Bedford, by Luton, Silsoe, and Ampthill, runs through the village; and the river Lea passes on the east at the distance of about three-quarters of a mile. A fair for horses and cattle is held on the 16th of May. The living is annexed to the rectory of Wheathampstead: a rent-charge of £479. 10. is paid to the Dean and Chapter of Westminster, who hold a glebe of 2a. 2r. 23p. The church is an ancient cruciform structure, composed of flint and stone, and is in the Norman style, with a square embattled tower. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans.