Harmston (All Saints)
HARMSTON (All Saints), a parish, in the Higher division of the wapentake of Boothby-Graffo, parts of Kesteven, union and county of Lincoln, 6 miles (S.) from Lincoln, on the road to Sleaford; containing 429 inhabitants. This place has been for more than four centuries the property and residence of the family of Thorold. The parish is skirted on the west by the rivers Witham and Brant, and comprises 2560 acres: limestone of good quality for building, and for burning into lime, is quarried extensively. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 6. 8.; net income, £108; patrons and impropriators, Benjamin Thorold, Esq., and Mrs. A. E. Thorold. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1759; when, also, an allotment of 12 acres was made to the poor. The church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in 1717, by Sir George Thorold, Bart., lord mayor of London in 1720, to whom, and to his family, it contains many splendid monuments. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. The free school, originally founded by Sir Charles Thorold, was endowed for 99 years, which term expired long since; the present schools are supported by subscription. The poor have the produce of some small bequests.