Harlington (St. Peter and St. Paul)
HARLINGTON (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Staines, hundred of Elthorne, county of Middlesex, 4 miles (N. W. by W.) from Hounslow; containing 841 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the confines of Buckinghamshire, is bounded on the north by the Grand Junction canal, and intersected by the Great Western railway. The surface is generally flat; the lands are chiefly arable, and the soil a rich loam. The scenery is enlivened by handsome seats, among which are Harlington Lodge and Harlington Villa. One wing of Dawley or D'Oyley House, the residence of Bolingbroke, is still remaining, with the whole of the northern wall of the inclosure, more than a mile in extent, against which grows some of the earliest wall-fruit with which the London market is supplied. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £24, and in the gift of the Rev. E. Davison: the tithes have been commuted for £696, and the glebe comprises 7 acres. The church is an ancient structure, containing portions in the Norman style, with a square embattled tower; among the details is a very fine Norman doorway in good preservation. In the churchyard is a yew-tree, eighteen feet and a quarter in girth, at the height of four feet from the ground. There is a place of worship for Baptists. This parish, which has been indifferently called Harlington or Arlington, gave the titles of Baron and Earl to the family of Bennett, of whom Henry, the first earl of Arlington, a member of the Cabal cabinet at the Restoration, was born here in 1618.