Harley (St. Mary)
HARLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Atcham, hundred of Condover, S. division of Salop, 2¼ miles (N. W. by W.) from Wenlock; containing 219 inhabitants. It comprises 2226 acres; the soil is generally light and gravelly, and the surface is level. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 12. 1., and in the gift of the Duke of Cleveland: the tithes have been commuted for £260, and the glebe comprises 44 acres. The Rev. Benjamin Jenks, well known as the author of several favourite works, especially a volume of family prayers, was rector of the parish for 56 years, and was buried in the church in 1724.