Harlaxton (St. Mary and St. Peter)
HARLAXTON (St. Mary and St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Grantham, wapentake of Loveden, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 3 miles (S. W.) from Grantham; containing 428 inhabitants. This place is of some antiquity, and had a hunting seat, the property of John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster. The parish is situated on the road from Grantham to Melton, and comprises 2000 acres. Stone of durable quality is quarried for the roads; and facility of conveyance is afforded by the Grantham and Nottingham canal, which passes through the parish. The ancient manor-house has been taken down, and rebuilt in a handsome style. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £25. 6. 10½.; net income, £760; patron, the Prebendary of South Grantham in the Cathedral of Salisbury. The tithes were commuted for land and cornrents in 1795; the land comprises 63 acres. The church is a neat structure, with a tower surmounted by a spire, and consists of a nave and chancel separated by a screen of carved oak. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.