Harkstead (St. Mary)
HARKSTEAD (St. Mary), a parish, in the hundred of Samford, E. division of Suffolk, 6½ miles (S. by E.) from Ipswich; containing 338 inhabitants. It comprises 1573 acres, and is situated on the navigable river Stour, by which it is bounded on the south. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 3. 9., and in the gift of the Rev. R. Berners: the tithes have been commuted for £470, and the glebe contains 48 acres. Besides the parochial church, there was formerly a chapel dedicated to St. Clement.