HARGRAVE, a chapelry, in the parish of Tarvin, union of Great Boughton, Lower division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester, 6 miles (S. E. by E.) from Chester; comprising 1271a. 32p. The living is a donative; net income, £100; patrons, Trustees nominated by the parishioners of Tarvin. The tithes have been commuted for £144, and the glebe comprises 8 acres. The chapel, a neat edifice of stone, was erected in 1638, at the expense of Sir Thomas Moulson, alderman of London, who bequeathed estates now producing £202 per annum, for erecting and endowing a chapel and grammar school. The funds having greatly accumulated, by an order of chancery in 1814, a house was raised for the officiating minister, a new building for the school, together with a house for the master, and the chapel, which is dedicated to St. Michael, was enlarged.