Hardwicke (St. Mary)
HARDWICKE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Aylesbury, hundred of Cottesloe, county of Buckingham, 3½ miles (N. by W.) from Aylesbury; containing, with the hamlet of Weedon, 747 inhabitants, of whom 319 are in the township of Hardwicke. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £39. 9. 7.; net income, £645; patrons, the Warden and Fellows of New College, Oxford. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1801. John Bridle, D.D., in 1781, founded and endowed a school.