Hardres, Lower (St. Mary)
HARDRES, LOWER (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bridge, hundred of Bridge and Petham, lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 3 miles (S.) from Canterbury; containing 252 inhabitants. It comprises 1176 acres, of which 237 are in wood. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 19. 9½., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £410, and the glebe contains 13 acres. The church, erected on the site of the ancient building, in 1832, with funds bequeathed by J. Tillard, Esq., of Street-End, in the parish of Petham, is a handsome structure in the early English style, with a square embattled tower surmounted by a spire.