HARDRAW, a chapelry, in the parish of Aysgarth, wapentake of Hang-West, N. riding of York, 18½ miles (W. by N.) from Middleham. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Lord Wharncliffe. The chapel was built about 80 years since. Within the chapelry is a tremendous waterfall, called Hardraw Scarr, with immense masses of rock overhanging it on each side; the water falls from a ledge 100 feet in perpendicular height. During the severe frost in 1740, this cascade was entirely congealed into a stupendous cone of ice.