Hardmead (St. Mary)
HARDMEAD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Newport-Pagnell, hundred of Newport, county of Buckingham, 5 miles (N. E. by E.) from Newport-Pagnell; containing 83 inhabitants. It comprises about 1150 acres, of which 650 are pasture, and the remainder arable, with the exception of 4 acres of woodland: the soil for the most part is a cold blue clay. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 10½., and in the gift of R. Shedden, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £173. 3. 6., and the glebe comprises 20 acres. The church is a handsome structure in the Norman style of architecture.