Hardenhuish (St. Nicholas)
HARDENHUISH (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union and hundred of Chippenham, Chippenham and Calne, and N. divisions of Wilts, 1¼ mile (N. W.) from Chippenham; containing 146 inhabitants. The parish is situated near the road from Chippenham to Malmesbury, and comprises 454a. 2r. 39p. The substratum is principally limestone, which is raised for the roads. The Great Western railway skirts the parish, and a branch of the Kennet and Avon canal terminates within a mile of it. Hardenhuish Park, the seat of Thomas Clutterbuck, Esq., is a handsome residence, in grounds tastefully laid out. The living is a rectory not in charge, in the gift of Mr. Clutterbuck: the tithes have been commuted for £92. 10., and the glebe comprises 12 acres. The church, a modern structure in the Grecian style, with a campanile turret and cupola, of considerable elegance, is beautifully situated on the acclivity of a richly-wooded hill, and is partly overspread with ivy: in the churchyard is a monument of white marble, to the memory of David Ricardo, Esq., who was interred here. Christopher Anstey, author of the New Bath Guide, and of several miscellaneous poems, died at Hardenhuish in 1805.