Harby (St. Mary)
HARBY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Melton-Mowbray, hundred of Framland, N. division of the county of Leicester, 8¾ miles (N.) from Melton-Mowbray; containing 629 inhabitants. It comprises about 2000 acres. The soil is a stiffish clay, but, under good management, fertile and productive; the surface is chiefly level, except towards the eastern boundary, which forms part of the range of hills skirting the Vale of Belvoir. The Nottingham and Grantham canal intersects the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20; net income, £469; patron, the Duke of Rutland. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1790, when 300 acres were assigned. The church is in the early English style, and was repaired and new-pewed in 1840. Here are several chalybeate springs; and in the village is an ancient stone cross.