Hanwell (St. Mary)
HANWELL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Brentford, hundred of Elthorne, county of Middlesex, 8 miles (W.) from London; containing 1469 inhabitants. The parish is intersected by the river Brent, and bounded on the west by the Grand Junction canal. Within its limits, also, the Great Western railway is conveyed across the valley of the Brent by a viaduct of chaste and elegant design, 886 feet in length, and 80 feet in height, consisting of 8 elliptical arches 70 feet in span. A station is fixed here, and in the vicinity are very considerable embankments. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20, and in the gift of the Bishop of London: the tithes have been commuted for £400, and the glebe comprises 25 acres. The church, built on the site of the former edifice, which, not being large enough for the increasing population, was pulled down, is a very handsome structure, in the Anglo-Roman style, consecrated in April, 1842, and containing about 700 sittings, whereof nearly 300 are free. There is a place of worship for Independents. William Hobbayne, in 1484, gave for charitable uses land then valued at £6 a year, but now producing upwards of £105, of which sum £35 are applied to the support of a school. The Hanwell County Lunatic Asylum, an elegant building lately much enlarged, is within the parochial chapelry of Norwood: it is capable of accommodating 950 inmates. Dr. George Henry Glasse, an eminent classical scholar, who died in 1809, was rector of Hanwell; Jonas Hanway, the traveller and philanthropist, who died in 1786, was buried here.