Hannington (St. Peter and St. Paul)
HANNINGTON (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Brixworth, hundred of Orlingbury, N. division of the county of Northampton, 8 miles (N. N. E.) from Northampton; containing 201 inhabitants. It comprises 1202 acres by measurement: the soil in one-half is a rich loam, and in the other a reddish sand; the surface is generally elevated. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Walgrave, and valued in the king's books at £10. 11. 3.: the tithes were commuted for land and money payments in 1802; the land comprises 224a. 2r. 14p. The church contains portions of the Norman style, and of the three successive styles of English architecture; the nave is longitudinally divided into two equal parts by three arches supported by circular piers. Dr. Francis Godwin, Bishop of Hereford, a distinguished antiquary and biographer, was born in 1561, in the parish, of which his father was rector prior to becoming Bishop of Bath and Wells.