Hanningfield, West (St. Mary and St. Edward)
HANNINGFIELD, WEST (St. Mary and St. Edward), a parish, in the union and hundred of Chelmsford, S. division of Essex, 6 miles (S. S. E.) from Chelmsford; containing 521 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 2787 acres, of which 1774 are arable, 888 meadow and pasture, and 125 woodland. The village is pleasantly situated. The living is a rectory, with the rectory of South Hanningfield consolidated, valued in the king's books at £16. 13. 4.; net income, £934; patrons, the family of Kemble. The church is an ancient edifice, with an octangular tower surmounted by a spire of wood; on the north side of the chancel is a table-monument to the Clovill family, and there are some brasses. The parsonage-house is handsome.