Hanningfield, East (All Saints)
HANNINGFIELD, EAST (All Saints), a parish, in the union and hundred of Chelmsford, S. division of Essex, 6½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Chelmsford; containing 449 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement 2325 acres, of which 1943 are arable, 316 meadow, and about 16 wood and plantation. The soil is a heavy clay, which, by draining and the use of chalk and marl, has been rendered fertile; the surface is generally flat, and was formerly thickly wooded, but more than 500 acres have been cleared, to admit a freer circulation of air. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 15. 7½.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. John Nottidge, whose tithes have been commuted for £550, and whose glebe comprises 40 acres. The church is a small edifice, with a tower surmounted by a shingled spire: on the north side of the chancel is a chantry chapel of brick.