Hanney, West (St. James)
HANNEY, WEST (St. James), a parish, in the union of Wantage, partly in the hundred of Ock, but chiefly in that of Wantage, county of Berks, 3¾ miles (N. by E.) from Wantage; containing, with the townships of East and West Hanney, and the chapelry of Lyford, 1153 inhabitants, of whom 391 are in the township of West Hanney. The parish comprises 4006a. 18p., and is watered by the river Ock, and the Childrey and Wantage brooks: the lands are flat, and the soil deep, black, and peculiarly rich, in some parts clayey; fivesixths are arable, and the remainder meadow. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £22. 12. 6.; net income, £205; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury Cathedral: a tithe rent-charge of £450 is paid to the impropriators, and one of £130 to the vicar. The church is principally of Norman architecture, and contains a monument to Mrs. Elizabeth Bowles, who died at the advanced age of 124 years; likewise several memorials of Knights Templars. At Lyford is a separate incumbency.