Hangleton (St. Helen)
HANGLETON (St. Helen), a parish, in the union of Steyning, hundred of Fishergate, rape of Lewes, E. division of Sussex, 4½ miles (N. W.) from Brighton; containing 71 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1151 acres, whereof 541 are waste land or common; it is elevated ground near the coast, of which it commands an interesting view. There are two ancient mansion-houses, one of which, in the Elizabethan style, contains some curious carving and rich stucco-work. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 14. 2.; net income, £209; patroness, Lady Amherst. The church is in the early English style.