Handley (St. Mary)
HANDLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Wimborne and Cranborne, hundred of SixpennyHandley, Wimborne division of Dorset, 5½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Cranborne; containing, with the tythings of Gussage with Minchington and Woodcutts, and the district of Newton and Deanlane, 1076 inhabitants. It comprises 5928 acres, of which 192 are common or waste land. A market was granted for this place at an early period, and the market-day was changed in the reign of Henry III.; but it has been disused from time immemorial. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church has been enlarged, and 156 free sittings provided.