Handley (All Saints)
HANDLEY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Great Boughton, hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester; containing 386 inhabitants, of whom 302 are in the township of Handley, 7½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Chester. The manor, from the period of the Conquest until the reign of Edward III., was in the Boydells, and, having passed with the coheiress of that family to the Holfords, was sold in 1585 to Sir George Calveley, and afterwards came to the Leighs. The parish is situated on the Chester and Whitchurch road, and comprises about 1320 acres, chiefly land for cheese-farming: about 1000 acres belong to Samuel Sandbach, Esq., lord of the manor, whose son has a farm-residence here. The soil is chiefly a strong clay, the surface rather level, and the scenery, which is extensive, includes the Welsh hills: red sandstone is quarried for building. There is a fox-cover of nine acres. Calveley Hall, on Milton green, is now a farmhouse; it has a fine oaken staircase, and wainscoted rooms. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 0. 5., and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Chester; net income, £253. The tithes of Handley township have been commuted for £195, and the glebe consists of 11 acres. The church was built about 300 years ago, and is ornamented with a square tower. A school was lately erected at the expense of the lord of the manor, and is endowed with the interest of £200.