Handborough (St. Peter and St. Paul)
HANDBOROUGH (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Witney, hundred of Wootton, county of Oxford, 3½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Woodstock; containing 1009 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 2112 acres, of which 170 are woodland. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 6. 0½.; net income, £353; patrons, the President and Fellows of St. John's College, Oxford: the tithes were commuted for land in 1772. The church is partly in the Norman style, with a spire of graceful proportions; the north entrance is a fine Norman arch, ornamented with an effigy of St. Peter: the font is adorned with emblems of the Crucifixion, and part of the roodloft is remaining, in the decorated style.