Hampton, Great (St. Andrew)
HAMPTON, GREAT (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Evesham, Lower division of the hundred of Blackenhurst, Pershore and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 1 mile (W. by S.) from Evesham; containing, with the hamlet of Little Hampton, 469 inhabitants. This place early belonged to the abbey of Evesham, and in the reign of William the Conqueror the abbot formed a vineyard here: in the reign of Henry V., we find that the abbot likewise possessed a mansion at Hampton. The parish is separated from Evesham by the river Avon, and intersected by the road between that town and Pershore; and comprises 1629a. 1r. 35p. The living is a discharged perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £7. 12. 3½.; net income, £81; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1776. The church stands upon a gentle knoll above the river, and is a well-built edifice consisting of a nave and chancel, with a tower placed upon arches at the junction of the nave and chancel. There are several charities connected with the church.