Hampton-Gay (St. Giles)
HAMPTON-GAY (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Woodstock, hundred of Ploughley, county of Oxford, 2¾ miles (E. by S.) from Woodstock; containing 74 inhabitants. It comprises about 600 acres, of which three-fifths are arable, and the remainder pasture. The ancient manor-house is a beautiful specimen of the Elizabethan style, with boldly projecting oriel windows. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £20; patron, the Rev. W. Wilson. The church was built in 1767, by the Rev. Thomas Hindes, then owner of the manor, and, though private property, is used as the parochial church.